- Play a central role in providing senior leadership for the academic and research performance of the School and contribute to the planning and growth of the university workforce strategy
- Of particular relevance is for the leadership and management of the discipline of civil engineering and infrastructure
- The 3-year appointment as Associate Dean is supported by a permanent position as Professor (level E)
- This role reports to the Dean – School of Engineering with 15-25 direct reports
- Remuneration for Academic Level E ($190,891) + 17% superannuation + 10% charge for appointment as Associate Dean
About the College
STEM College has a leadership position and expertise in science, technology, engineering, math, and health (STEM). We are uniquely positioned to influence and collaborate with industry like never before.
STEM College is a community of outstanding STEM researchers, teachers, inventors, designers, and game changers, supported by a talented professional staff. We offer higher education programs in all STEM disciplines at bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral levels, and ensure that our students receive a work-aligned and life-changing education.
About the role
You will be responsible for:
- Play a critical role on the school’s leadership team, lead and manage staff within civil engineering and infrastructure, and work collaboratively with the Dean to enable the school and STEM College to achieve the next processing step;
- Provide academic and strategic leadership and foster a culture of progression to enable the implementation of the College’s research, learning and teaching strategies;
- Lead the advancement of teaching in the discipline, including initiating curriculum improvements, improving academic standards, as well as actively contributing to research by publishing high-impact publications and securing competitive research grants ;
- To deliver, in collaboration with other members of the discipline, the best-in-class student experience by embracing student-centered interactive and digital learning experiences and by identifying and implementing learning initiatives and innovative teaching;
- Actively connect with industry, commerce and government for research and education initiatives with national and global external partners;
- Maintain and develop relationships with relevant departments of the university and other institutions;
- Participate in the continuous improvement of processes within the disciplines of the School of Engineering and act as a credible model to positively influence the culture of the School;
- Contribute meaningfully to governance and collegial life inside and outside the University, consistently demonstrating RMIT’s values.
To be successful in the role, you will have:
- Strong backgrounds and proven skills in academic leadership and management with the ability and ability to achieve strategic goals;
- Demonstrated experience in financial, governance and quality management systems within a university;
- A strong track record in publishing high-quality journal articles in a relevant civil engineering discipline nationally and internationally, and with an ability to lead and promote excellent research in your field
- Extensive experience in innovative teaching in a discipline relevant to this school, underpinned by an in-depth understanding of contemporary learning and teaching theory;
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of relevant industry and training priorities;
- Experience in developing and leading successful international collaborations;
- Strong negotiation and influencing skills with the ability to communicate, build and foster internal and external relationships;
- Ability to foster a culture of positive change and think strategically about organizational priorities and goals;
- Demonstrated ability to manage fellowship programs and lead program reviews and ability to support and develop research groups and centers by attracting external funding
- Extensive experience in attracting and supervising candidates for higher degrees to maximize research performance;
- Tertiary qualifications (including a Ph.D.) in the relevant engineering discipline with knowledge and achievements that meet RMIT professorial criteria.
- Appointment to this position is subject to passing a work with children test.
Please submit your CV, cover letter and separately address the key selection criteria for this position by clicking on the ‘Apply’ link below.
For more information on this role, please see the job description or contact Aleksandra Besia, Senior Talent Acquisition Advisor at [email protected]
Closing of applications on Sunday, May 22, 2022.
Bring your whole being to work
We are better for our diversity. When we listen to those who are different from us or challenge ourselves, we become stronger together. When we feel like we belong, we can accomplish so much more. We respect each other, accept our differences and build a sense of belonging within our team and beyond.
We are proud that our commitment to diversity has been recognized by a wide range of external organizations. Visit our Linkedin Life pages to learn more and see some of our most recent wins.
RMIT has a strong dhumbali (commitment) to the employment, development and retention of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people in a culturally safe environment; we strongly encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.
RMIT is a disability confident recruitment team and we are happy to tailor the recruitment process to your accessibility needs. Please contact us at [email protected] with your preferred type of communication and we will contact you as soon as possible to discuss your requirements.
RMIT is an equal opportunity employer committed to being a child-safe organization. We are committed to attracting, retaining and developing our employees, regardless of gender identity, ethnicity, sexual orientation, disability and age. Applications from all sectors of the community are encouraged and we strongly encourage applications from the Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander community.
Please note that while we are still accepting applications from anyone interested in our roles, due to the impacts of COVID-19 we are currently prioritizing applications from those who currently have employment rights in Australia and who are not affected by travel restrictions. Please see the latest updates to Australia’s immigration and border arrangements during the COVID-19 (Coronavirus) outbreak: https://covid19.homeaffairs.gov.au/
The COVID-19 Compulsory Vaccination (Workers) Guidelines, made under the Public Health and Welfare Act 2008 (Vic) and as amended and replaced from time to time (Guidance), affect all persons employed or engaged to perform work by RMIT.
As such, RMIT job offers are conditional on the candidate being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or medically exempt and providing satisfactory proof thereof. You can access the instructions here: https://www.dhhs.vic.gov.au/victorias-restriction-levels-covid-19
We are a Circle Back 2021 employer – we are committed to responding to every applicant.